So you’re ready to start flying drones? Or you’re looking for another drone to compliment your arsenal? One of the most popular drone packages for both the hobbyist and serious aerial photographer is the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo.
The original DJI Mavic Pro is already a great drone (and we reviewed some great accessories for it). The Platinum improves on that in some significant ways. The Combo package includes everything you need to hit the ground running…or, should we say, hit the air flying. ?
Why Buy A DJI Mavic Pro Platinum?
There are many reasons why the Mavic Pro is the most popular consumer drone. The Mavic Pro Platinum retains all of these great features of the original Mavic Pro: it’s an excellent first drone and is great for beginners, it offers impressive stability, and has multiple flight modes (including beginner modes). Its portability, easy controls, and relatively low price make it the perfect drone for beginners.
- Portability. The Mavic Pro is already small and light, but the arms fold up to make it even smaller. Most other drones don’t offer this feature. It’s the perfect drone for travel and hiking because it fits in a normal backpack. It’s a whopping 3.3” x 3.3” x 7.8” when folded and weighs in like a featherweight…just 1.6 pounds including the battery. See the video below for more.
- DJI Support. If you have a problem with your drone (if you break it, someone else breaks it, or it has a hardware malfunction), you can send it to one of the many DJI service centers located throughout the world for expedient service.
- Obstacle avoidance. Mavic Pro features forward and downward vision sensors. The forward sensors will warn you when you’re approaching an object, and it will stop & hover if you get too close (note: flying at high speeds may not keep you totally safe from crashing). Downward sensors not only do the same thing, but they also allow for precision hovering over the same spot.
- High-quality 4K camera & gimbal. The tiny three-axis brushless gimbal allows for fluid movement and camera stability. Record 4K HD video at 30 fps and capture 12MP stills in either DNG or JPG format. The camera features a fixed 28mm focal length with a minimum aperture value of f/2.2.
- Multiple Intelligent Flight Modes. Activating modes like Tripod Mode, ActiveTrack, and TapFly make flying super easy so that you can focus on what’s really important – your cinematography skills.
Video: Check Out These Mavic Pro Travel Tips
DJI Mavic Pro Platinum’s Major Improvements
At this point, you’re probably wondering: why should get the Mavic Pro Platinum instead of the regular Mavic Pro? You may have heard that the improvements are centered around new propellers that you can actually put on an older Mavic Pro.
There’s actually more differences between the older model and Mavic Pro Platinum than their improved propellers:
- Appearance. Of course, that’s why it’s called the Platinum. The shiny finish doesn’t just make it look sleeker, it also increases your visibility under certain lighting conditions.
- Improved efficiency leads to longer battery life. The Mavic Pro advertises a maximum flight time of 27 minutes under controlled testing conditions. The new propeller design and efficient motors have increased this flight time to 30 minutes. Now, that may not seem like much, but that 10% increase is actually a significant improvement! I can’t tell you how many times I was wrapping up an epic shot only to have a low battery warning forcing the drone to land too soon. Those extra three minutes are huge!
- Decreased noise signature over the Mavic Pro. This is due to their redesigned propellers just mentioned, but the Platinum also features new electronic motor controllers. DJI advertises a 4 decibel reduction at a distance of 1 meter, which comes out to a 60% noise power reduction. This is good news for your neighbors (or for anyone around you where you fly)…in fact, the folks over at The Verge couldn’t believe just how quiet it is.
- If you have an older model Mavic, you can use its batteries on the Platinum.
- The improved motor controllers also increase flight stability and thus your video.
What’s in The DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo Package?
When released, the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum retailed for $1,099. The base package includes:
- Mavic Pro Platinum Drone
- One Intelligent Flight Battery
- Remote Controller
- AC charging cable
- 16GB SD card
- Two spare propellers
If you’re serious about flying and getting aerial shots you and your friends won’t stop talking about, you’re going to need more than what’s included in the base package. Fortunately, DJI has put together the Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo package. It includes all the additional accessories you’d probably end up buying separately:
- Two extra Intelligent Flight Batteries (total of 3)
- One complete set of extra propellers (they will break and/or need to be replaced over time!)
- 12VDC car charger for charging on the go
- Battery charging hub for charging all of your batteries at once
- One battery power bank adapter
- Soft leather carrying bag
Purchasing all of these items as a package instead of separately will save you approximately $80.
Let’s Wrap Up Your Mavic Pro Platinum
If you’re looking for a wonderful drone that’s easy to fly, comes with great customer support, and will produce excellent photos & videos, DJI’s Mavic Pro Platinum is your answer.
At the bare minimum, you’re going to want at least extra batteries, a small carrying case, car charger, and spare propellers. This pre-made kit is the perfect package for these essential accessories.
About The Author, Jason (Rotospace’s Creator)
Jason is an expert drone pilot who loves everything about this amazing aerial technology.
He flies two DJI drones: The Inspire1 and Mavic Pro Platinum …and enjoys keeping them airborne whenever possible.
Jason’s rotospace-related social media accounts: Google+ | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter